Mental Health First Aid
Just as CPR helps you assist an individual having a heart attack – even if you have no medical training – Mental Health First Aid helps you assist someone experiencing a mental health related crisis. In the Mental Health First Aid course, you learn risk factor and warning signs for mental health and addiction concerns, strategies for how to help someone in both crisis and non-crisis situations, and where to turn to for help.
To become certified in Mental Health First Aid, you must complete an eight (8) hour training course. The course is designed to give people key skills to help someone who is developing a mental health problem or experiencing a mental health crisis. Please call Pathways for more information at 419-523-4300.
• Teach people how to help a person during a mental health crisis or non-crisis situation
• Teach basic understanding of mental health and addiction issues
• Teach anyone signs of mental illness and addiction
• Equip people with a 5-step action plan to assess a situation and provide appropriate help
• Teach anyone about local, professional resources and where to turn for assistance You may also find more information online at www.mentalhealthfirstaid.org.